Thank you for reading our newsletter.
JOIN GILAD FOR A LIVE ZOOM WORKOUT EVERY THURSDAY
Food for thought.
“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do; it comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”
My doctor said I need to workout with weights. I have never worked out with weights before. Please explain how I should get started without getting injured but still get results. I’m 62 years old female.
Certainly! Starting a weight training regimen at any age can be beneficial, but it’s especially important to approach it safely and progressively, especially as you get older. Here are some steps and guidelines to help you get started:
- Consultation: Before starting any exercise regimen, always consult with your doctor or a physical therapist, especially given your age and if you have any pre-existing conditions.
- Start Slowly: As a beginner, it’s crucial to start with light weights. This will help your body to adapt to the new routine and reduce the risk of injuries.
- Hire a Personal Trainer: If possible, consider hiring a personal trainer, at least for the initial sessions. They can guide you on proper form and technique, which is essential for preventing injuries and ensuring you get the most out of your workouts.
- Warm Up and Cool Down: Always start your workout with a 10-15 minute warm-up. This can be a brisk walk, stationary cycling, or any low-impact cardio. Similarly, end with a cool-down and stretching to help relax the muscles and improve flexibility.
- Full Body Workouts: Initially, focus on full-body workouts 2-3 times a week. This will ensure all major muscle groups are targeted.
- Proper Form: This cannot be stressed enough. Proper form is more important than the amount of weight you lift. Incorrect form can lead to injuries and imbalances.
- Progressive Overload: As you get comfortable, gradually increase the weights. This is essential for muscle growth and strength. However, ensure the increase is gradual and manageable.
- Stay Hydrated: Drink plenty of water before, during, and after your workout. Dehydration can lead to muscle cramps and fatigue.
- Rest and Recovery: Allow at least a day of rest between weight training sessions. This is when your muscles repair and grow. Also, ensure you’re getting adequate sleep.
- Listen to Your Body: If something doesn’t feel right, or if you experience pain (not to be confused with discomfort or muscle fatigue), stop immediately. Rest, and if the pain continues, consult a doctor or physical therapist.
- Nutrition: Ensure you’re eating a balanced diet with adequate protein. Protein is essential for muscle repair and growth. You might also consider consulting a nutritionist who can guide you based on your specific needs.
- Stay Consistent: Like any form of exercise, consistency is key. It might be challenging initially, but stick with it, and you’ll see results over time.
- Join a Group or Class: Sometimes, joining a group of like-minded individuals can be motivating. Many gyms offer weight training classes specifically designed for seniors.
- Flexibility Training: Incorporate flexibility exercises like yoga or Pilates. This will help in improving muscle elasticity, balance, and overall joint health.
Lastly, celebrate your progress, no matter how small. Starting a weight training regimen is a significant step towards improved health and well-being. Remember, it’s not about comparing yourself to others but about being a better version of yourself. Good luck!
If you have a question for Gilad click the button below.
DOWNLOADS AND DVDS
USE PROMO CODE
Get ready for the next challenge…
Gilad’s 21-Day Core, Cardio & Butt Challenge
Starting November 1st. 2023
SPECIAL VIRTUAL EVENT
LIVE ZOOM WORKOUTS ARE BACK!
JOIN GILAD FOR A VIRTUAL LIVE WORKOUT
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 26 TH
Gilad will teach a 45-minute full-body workout. Suitable for all fitness levels.
After the class, Gilad will be available for a chat.
The class will be recorded, and a copy will be available
for all ticket holders.
GET YOUR TICKET NOW
GILAD ON DEMAND
7- DAY FREE TRIAL
Get access to over 400 home workouts you can stream
on your TV and all mobile devices.
Never miss a workout!
After the trial you can continue for only $9.99/month.
No contract and no upsell!
NO CREDIT CARD NEEDED!
THINGS WE FIND INTERESTING
Why is working out with weights so important when we grow older?
There is a lot of writing about the importance of working your muscles as you grow older. Lokking at the benefits listed below I think you will feel the same and wanting to head to the gym.
FROM OUR GILAD SHOP
Bodies in Motion Hoodie
With its long sleeves and comfortable hood, this tee is perfect for layering, allowing you to create stylish outfits all year round. Plus, its lightweight construction allows for unrestricted movement, ensuring that you feel at ease no matter the occasion.
Bee Pearl is a pollen, nectar, and enzyme blend.
Each capsule contains vitamins, microelements, polyphenols, unsaturated fatty acids, and antioxidants. This natural blend helps maintain your health, immunity, and energy level. Bee Pearl can aid with the recovery from influenza.
Bee Pearl contains a variety of vitamins, minerals, and other vital substances:
- Amino acids (15 from 20 possible)
- Numerous fatty acids (includes OMEGA-3, OMEGA-6)
- All Vitamins (a substantial amount of A, E, B3, B1, B, H)
- Minerals (a substantial amount of Zn, Cu, Fe, K, Na)
- Microelements and Polyphenolic compounds.
Ingredients: Freeze Dried Extract of Bee Bread, Vitamin C.
Whey protein concentrate has a very high nutritional value and is among the best-studied protein supplements in the world*
This is because whey protein isn’t just protein but also contains essential biological nutrients that benefit the body.
This supplement grows muscle fast and clean while also supporting speedy muscle recovery.
Ingredients: whey protein concentrate, Stevia Extract, Dutch Cocoa Powder, N&A Flavors, Gum Powder, Sea Salt, and Silicon Dioxide.
Manufacturer Country: USA
Product Amount: 2lb (907g)
Grass-Fed Collagen Creamer helps to keep the body functioning optimally*
Collagen is a significant protein in the body, mainly found in connective tissue. It’s responsible for retaining elasticity in the skin, hair, and nails while providing structure to tendons and joints.
The body produces less collagen as it ages, making it essential for people to supplement with collagen for greater longevity. Our Grass-Fed Collagen Creamer contains types 1 and 3 collagen essential for healthy skin, muscles, and bone.
This is the perfect way to level up your morning coffee or favorite hot beverage.
Ingredients: Hydrolyzed collagen peptides (from bovine hide), medium chain triglycerides, acacia powder, calcium carbonate, pea protein powder, natural flavor, silica, stevia extract powder.
Manufacturer Country: USA
Product Amount: 0.53lb (240g)
*Warning: These products is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
The Food and Drug Administration has not evaluated these statements. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.